The "almost perfect" laptop backpack was my last Targus. But somehow they decided to discontinue it and trash its features instead of just adding some new ones on.
This is a list of features I would love to have at my laptop backpack and cannot find them all at any on the market, so far. Backpack manufacturers, erm... take notes?
- Secret pocket. My old Targus had one hiden in the lower back padding. Super super feature! Even I needed few month to find it :)
- Cell/Mobile pocket on one of the brackets. You need to visually check you mobile to decide if you answer/call back/etc, right? Then why putting the mobile somewhere inside, where you cannot reach it it unless you take off the backpack? Old Targus had it.
- Side pocket keychain. It's super to be able to reach the keys without taking off the backpack. Targus had it but I needed some practice to be able to reach and get the keys off the chain; still I managed to do it.
- Outside bottom made of special fabric / plastic / lether / rubber. Targus had it made of a kind of plastic fabric and I didn't care if I put it down in muddy or wet areas because it was easy to wipe afterwards and completely water proof.
- Laptop compartment access from the side. I would prefer to be able to take out/in the laptop without opening the round upper part zipper of the backpack. It would be much easier to be able to extract it through a side linear zipper (only the laptop not the charger, etc). This is the only feature missing from my old Targus but at the time I bought it was not "invented". Now I can see some models on the market having this nice feature.
- Some obvious and very common features: External side pocket for bottles (even one on each side). Padded back, straps, and laptop compartment. Diveded interiors with various mesh/non mesh pockets and zippers. Most of the backpacks have these anyway.
God bless your back(pack)!